BG Racing Syndicates

Members Area
Weekly Update 10-02-19

By On 10th February 2019

I thought I would be busy reflecting on My Brother’s run at Kempton in this week’s update and then equine flu hit the headlines and plans changed somewhat!

As has been widely commented, for most racehorses equine flu would not be a major issue, but would just cause the same kind of symptoms as a heavy cold would in humans, but this is because racehorses have all be vaccinated.

As I see it, there are two major issues with continuing to race, one is that horses that are suffering from these symptoms would not be able to race to best effect anyway and more horses would contract the virus if they were exposed to it and the second is that the flu is more serious to horses if they have not been vaccinated and about 60% of the horses (outside racing) in the UK have not been vaccinated.

Racehorses who could be carrying the virus without yet showing symptoms could come into contact with other racehorses from near and far in the close confines of racecourse stables and many people in racing have their own horses as well.  If racing went ahead without confidence that the horses involved were not contagious, then the horses and their handlers could end up being the conduit for quick and wide transmission of the virus.

I know some people have expressed an opinion that it is an overreaction, but on this occasion, it must have been a tough call to make and I am happy to respect the decision that those involved have taken to to shut down racing until next Wednesday and we will have to wait for more news on Monday about whether it will resume then.  At the moment, my guess is that they may extend the cancellation of fixtures for a few more days at least.

In terms of BG Racing horses, Neil was told that as he had runners at Wolverhampton stabled with a runner that could have been carrying the virus, he is not able to declare runners to race until he has been given the all clear from the BHA and I understand that this means all horses in the yard have to be tested.  This should not take long however and I am hopeful that if racing action returns this week, then Neil’s horses should also be able to return unless any of his horses are shown to be suffering from the virus.

Updated plans for our two horses are detailed below, although are subject to change as you might imagine given that things are a bit up in the air at the moment!

The Way You Dance

Entries for The Way You Dance‘s race at Ascot on Saturday 16th February close on Monday.  The race is a 0-125 handicap hurdle over 2 miles 7 furlongs and is quite a valuable race.

Ascot has not published their first going report yet, but Sandown on Friday is listed as heavy.  The forecast for this week is not terrible, however, so fingers crossed the ground will be OK for TWYD.  I have looked for an alternative all-weather race, but there is nothing suitable until 3rd March, so if we cannot go to Ascot we will look for some decent ground over hurdles the following week.

Once racing restarts, The Way You Dance should now be racing regularly if he stays sound and he should give shareholders loads of fun and hopefully a decent prize money return in the remainder of the year.  Shares are available at £360 per 1%, with 5% will be discounted to £1750 and 10% to £3400.  I only charge 10% to cover my time running the syndicates and this is further reduced for the 5% and 10% rates which really are excellent value.  Quoted costs are “all in” costs to 31st October 2019 and you will receive your share of prize money, plus full owners benefits and the sale proceeds from your share should you decide not to renew or if we sell the horse.

If you are interested in taking a share, please contact me and I will provide you with further information and the relevant paperwork.

My Brother

My Brother was unable to run on Friday when Kempton was abandoned and he has now been entered in two races at Sandown next Friday afternoon.  These are a two-mile conditional jockeys 0-120 handicap and a two and a half mile 0-120 novice handicap.  The ground at Sandown is currently heavy but I am hoping that this will improve during the week to allow us to run (subject to the race going ahead and Neil being allowed to have runners!).

There are 27 entries for the conditional jockeys race and 29 for the handicap.  I think My Brother would get into the field for both as there are several lower handicapped runners in each race.

If you have been thinking about taking a shareholding of My Brother, then you should act now and you can come racing on Friday.  Shares are £450 per 1% and I reduce my admin fee for larger share purchases, so 5% is £2,200 and 10% is £4,250.  These are all in costs to 31st October 2019 with your share of prize money, full owners benefits and the sale proceeds from your share should you decide not to renew or if we sell the horse.  If you are interested in taking a shareholding, please contact me for further information.

From The Stables

Monday started the week in the worst possible way when Neil’s horse Minellatillmorning was fatally injured when falling at Taunton.  This is always gutting news and so very sad for connections and for the staff at Neil’s who cared for the horse.  The results over the rest of the day did not provide much cheer either.  Neil had Carrigmoorna Matt running in an earlier race and he could not get competitive eventually finishing 4th, Ali The Hunter was well beaten for Johnny and Presenting Lucina faded into sixth after leading for Neil in a race where Johnny’s Ormskirk made late progress but was well beaten.  Over at Wolverhampton in the evening, Neil had two runners, Mrs Burbidge looking like she needed the run and With Pride who was well beaten.

On Tuesday the result was better when Very Extravagant ran a cracker for Neil and finished 2nd at a decent price and he had another decent result on Wednesday when The Detainee was third at Kempton.  On Thursday, Alan’s Devils Glen was unplaced at Thurles and his runner on Saturday, King Alex, was also well beaten.

Getting Involved

Fees for both horses are all inclusive to 31st October 2019 and buying a share in a BG Racing horse is a decision that you will not regret.  All quoted prices include the purchase price of the horse and should you decide to renew for a second year, you will only need to pay training fees which are under £200 per 1% share.  If you are interested in finding out more about what is involved, then please do get in touch as I would be delighted to discuss things with you.

I issue weekly shareholder updates (which go into more detail than the blog) and frequent updates on social media.  Feel free to like the FaceBook page and follow the Twitter updates.

I also have an e-book entitled “Racehorse Ownership – Everything You Might Have Wanted To Know But Would Not Have Known Who To Ask“.  This is free and the download page can be accessed here.

Have a great week.

Phil


SHARE THIS ON:

5 months ago / Comments Off on Weekly Update 10-02-19

10

FEB

No

Comments

BG Racing Syndicates

Comments are closed here.