BG Racing Syndicates

Members Area
Weekly Update 26-08-18

By On 26th August 2018

After a couple of quiet weeks, this week – loads happened!  I say loads, but in the end, it did not actually add up to anything material but it sure felt like a lot while it was going on!

A trip to the stables that morphed into a trip to the sales (spoiler alert – I did not buy anything) and later in the week we actually decided to run My Brother at Fontwell, so a day at the races needed to be organised, before minutes before the race we decided to withdraw him as the ground was riding a bit too fast.  It all added up to a lot of shareholder communications, but in the end, not much has changed since last week!

The Way You Dance

Neil went to see The Way You Dance this week (he is at one of his offsite yards) and he reported that he is still a little sore from the knock he took in his last race.  At the current time, the Grassroots Stayers Series final at Nottingham at the start of October is still a target but getting ready for that race will be quite tight and it may be necessary to reassess this of we get any setbacks.

All being well, we will then keep him going into the winter over hurdles and I am almost certain that we will extend our ownership of him for another year from November 2018 to October 2019.

With the success that The Way You Dance has had this year, I will be increasing his value at renewal.  For the current year I am holding the share price at £280.50 per 1%, reducing to £275 per 1% if you buy 5% and £270 per 1% if you buy 10%.  As a special offer, if you buy 5% or more, I will credit you with all prize money won so far this season – which is payable at the year end – this will mean that you already have about £250 of prize money in the bank, with nothing else to pay before renewal in October.  Contact me for details.

Justice Super

I am still speaking to a couple of people about re-homing Justice Super.

My Brother

I managed to miss the fact that Neil had made an entry for the 2m 2f handicap hurdle at Fontwell on Thursday and after looking at the race and the alternative (a novice hurdle at Cartmel on Saturday), we decided to go to Fontwell at the declaration stage (Wednesday).  Whilst the alternative at Cartmel had softer ground, entries included the 2nd and 3rd from My Brother’s last race at Bangor along with three others rated well ahead of him in handicap terms, making it less attractive.

Five of us headed to Fontwell on Thursday.  We were having a nice evening at the races and I had even posted the pre-race video update onto Facebook here, but as we were waiting at the saddling boxes, Neil called me from the weighing room just as Tom Scudamore was weighing out, expressing concern over the ground.  I went to talk to Neil, Tom and Andrew, Neil’s assistant trainer and after Tom confirmed to me that the ground was riding faster than Perth (two races ago), we reluctantly we decided that it was not in our best interests to run.  Aside from the fact that he could have been jarred up, we feel that he will be much better on softer ground, so the underfoot conditions were hardly conducive to him running well either.  Later in the evening, one I had got back from the course, I recorded a Facebook video to explain the reasoning and this can be viewed here.

What had passed me by in the run up to the race was that My Brother had been dropped 4lbs to 106 by the handicapper between entries and declarations for Fontwell.  This meant that he would have carried 4lb more than he should in the Fontwell race and it also made the alternative of re-routing him to Cartmel less attractive.  Were he to win there, he would have got a big handicap mark uplift and he could win two or three handicaps before getting the same uplift as from one novice race like that.  Having considered these options, we decided on Thursday that we should give My Brother a couple of weeks off while we will wait for some softer ground.

Shares in My Brother remain £450 for 1%, but I will discount these to £430 per 1% for 5% purchase and £410 per 1% for 10% purchases.  All purchases will be credited with full share of prize money for this season.  This is an all in cost to 31st October 2018 and at renewal shares will be less than £200 per 1% share to cover training fees should you decide to stay involved for another year.  Please contact me for more information.

From The Stables

Last Monday, the week kicked off for Johnny with Ambre Des Marais running well to finish 2nd.  Neil’s week did not start as well with Perfect Timing unseating at the first and American Patrol never getting involved.  On Tuesday, I travelled with Neil to see Appointment Only run at Kempton.  He finished 2nd, but this was a little disappointing because he was a short price favourite.  Kristal Hart was Neil’s other runner, lining up at Newton Abbot and finishing 4th.  Johnny was back in action on Wednesday but Sehayli was well beaten and Big Picture also failed to make the frame.

It was a busy Thursday for Neil.  The action started at Stratford where Cornish Warrior was 3rd and then whilst it was not a runner for the stable, it was a win for a rider from Neil’s stable as Millie Wonnacott rode her first ever winner.  The next race saw another first time winner as young Liam Harrison partnered Neil’s Magical Thomas to victory.  He was cheered on from Fontwell where the rest of Neil’s runners were competing.  They did not see as much success as the Stratford runners.  Cor Wot An Apple did run well to finish 4th, but Code of Law and Bit More were well beaten.  My Brother was a non runner and The Detainee was never a factor.  Over in Ireland, Alan had two declared, but Templemore Dream was a non runner.  Wonderoftheworld did run and finished a good 3rd.

Friday saw just the one runner, Rossetti for Neil, who was well beaten, but Saturday was more successful.  Neil’s Dieg Man jumped really well and landed the novice chase at Cartmel.  Alan had two runners at Killarney where Product of Love was placed and Clever As A Fox missed the places by one position finishing 4th.

There were no runners from our yards on Sunday.

Get Involved

Buying a share in one or both of the horses is a decision that you will not regret.  All quoted prices include the purchase price of the horse and should you decide to renew for a second year, you will only need to pay training fees which are under £200 per 1% share.  If you are interested in discussing what is involved, then please do get in touch as I would be delighted to discuss things with you.  I also have an e-book entitled “Racehorse Ownership – Everything You Might Have Wanted To Know But Would Not Have Known Who To Ask“.  This is free and the download page can be accessed by following this link:

Have a great week.



2 years ago / Comments Off on Weekly Update 26-08-18





BG Racing Syndicates

Comments are closed here.